Dual Diagnosis Treatment by Serenity Malibu Rehab Center
There are many chances that a person with a mental health issue may go for substance abuse like drugs, alcohol or prescribed opioids. This will slow down their thinking ability and give them a temporary sense of relaxation to cope with the pain they are experiencing. Unfortunately, these people don’t know how it will lead to a routine, and then they are left with both mental health issues and substance abuse issues as a result.
Likely, people who struggle with substance abuse will also experience mental health problems such as stress, depression, anxiety, etc. Whatever the situation is the fact is 17 million people are suffering from dual diagnosis disorders.
However, treatment for dual diagnosis disorder is possible. Serenity Malibu allows you to receive mental health and substance therapy at the same time. We assist each patient in regaining mental health control and recovering from substance abuse. Our goal is to offer you attentive, tailored, and holistic care that addresses all your concerns.
What is Dual Diagnosis?
Dual diagnosis also known as the co-occurring disorder is a condition in which a patient suffers from both mental health issues and drug or alcohol addiction at the same time. A person may also have more than one mental health issue or substance abuse disorder.
A person suffering from any mental disorder like depression or anxiety leans towards drugs or alcohol to pause their suffering; not knowing that it only worsens the condition. Similarly, a person addicted to any type of substance suffers from mental conditions due to the side effects of substance abuse.
Sometimes people with unwanted negative emotions or thoughts self-medicate with alcohol or drugs to temporarily ease life. Some people may experience depression, bipolar disorder, or another mental health challenge as a result of substance abuse causing negative changes in their brain chemistry. Whatever caused the other, it is often the case that people’s struggles with their mental health go hand in hand.
Need Help? Please Call 866-694-3032
What are the causes of Dual Diagnosis?
The following are some causes of dual diagnosis:
- Genetics: People with a family history of dual-diagnosis disorders are more likely to suffer from this disorder.
- Environmental Factors: Trauma experiences, childhood abuse, and unfavorable environments can lead to mental illness or substance addiction.
- Self-Medication: Some people use opioids, drugs or alcohol for quick relief from their mental condition which unknowingly leads them to dual diagnosis disorder.
- Chronic Stress: Excessive stress can also lead to both mental illness as well as substance use disorders.
- Brain Chemistry: An imbalance of brain chemicals, such as dopamine, serotonin, and norepinephrine, may contribute to mental health disorders and substance abuse disorders.
It is important to consider that the treatment of dual diagnosis is challenging and must be followed by experts only. At Serenity Malibu, we understand the severity of this disorder. Thus, we aim to provide you with the most appropriate and well-structured treatment plan to ensure lifelong recovery.
How to Diagnose Co-occurring Disorder?
It is difficult to identify if the person is suffering from a dual diagnosis as there are no solid symptoms. Moreover, it varies from person to person. Professionals and experienced individuals are required to conduct a comprehensive assessment to evaluate a person’s symptoms, medical history, family history and substance use habits.
Our Dual Diagnosis Treatment Procedure:
- Screening: First, professionals conduct interviews and questionnaires related which help to understand the patient’s thoughts, behaviors, and habits.
- Comprehensive Assessment: If professionals find any evidence of mental illness or substance abuse during screening, they will perform a detailed assessment and ask more questions about a person’s medical history and family history.
- Diagnosis: Based on the assessment, medical professionals will determine if the person is suffering from a mental disorder and substance abuse simultaneously.
- Treatment Program: Once the disorder is identified, a treatment plan will be prepared accordingly. Our therapy programs are tailored to each patient’s needs to assist them in recovering. Our professionals help patients manage mental illnesses while treating addiction problems.
- Monitoring: Patients are monitored by certified physicians throughout their detoxification and health recovery process. Our diverse team of licensed professionals is constantly in contact with them.
Which type of treatment or activity does Serenity offer for their patient?
Serenity treatment center for dual diagnosis offers a wide range of activities to help patients deal with deeper mental health issues and trauma, facing whatever comes up and learning how to start a path to healing and dealing with these challenges directly.
- Medical drug detox
- Therapy and counseling
- Education on mental health and drug addiction
- Group therapy
- Family therapy (facilitated meeting with family)
- 12-step support group
- Dialectical behavior therapy for gaining life skills
- EMDR for treating traumatic experiences
- Neurofeedback to combat anxiety
- Dream analysis
- Music therapy
- Fitness therapy
- Cooking and nutrition workshops
- Yoga and meditation
- Beach and water activities
- Art and craft or creative writing
Need help with Dual Diagnosis? Speak to our admission staff now!
Comprehensive and Inclusive Treatment for Co-occurring Disorder
Someone with a co-occurring disorder needs to understand as much as possible about their own mental illness which may be a new idea to them. They may have lived for years with symptoms but never understood that they had a specific disorder. Serenity Malibu Rehab has designed treatment programs for dual diagnosis patients which include group therapy, family therapy, counseling, and education. These therapies will help patients to understand more about their mental illness by hearing other people’s stories. If they have the same disorder they might relate to their experiences and begin to get a better idea of the bigger picture of having a mental illness.
Family therapy is a very important part of dual diagnosis treatment because every close member of your family also needs to learn about and understand your illness as well as your addiction. They need to know how to handle your symptoms and provide support throughout your recovery. When the family becomes more educated it tends to help the individual to continue their success as they return back home.
People who have been given dual diagnosis treatment need lots of regular sessions of psychotherapy to address both their addiction and their mental illness. Our therapists have extensive experience in treating people with co-occurring disorders and they know how to support each patient in recovery. Dual diagnosis therapy can be a transformative experience that makes it possible for people to move on from many difficulties that have plagued them for years.
Why Consider Serenity Malibu for Dual Diagnosis Treatment?
Serenity Malibu provides inpatient care for dual-diagnosis patients where the highly trained medical staff cares for everything they need and want. As soon as a patient enters the treatment center, a full medical examination is conducted on them. Board-certified physicians will monitor the patient’s detoxification and health throughout the stay. To improve patients’ health, we also include exercise and physical activities as part of the treatment plan.
Serenity Malibu is one of the most popular treatment centers for dual diagnosis because we include acupuncture, cooking and nutrition workshops, fitness therapy, beach and water activities, massages, yoga and many other extra activities which help a lot to patients’ recovery.
As the best dual diagnosis treatment center, developing effective strategies for coping with life that doesn’t involve substance abuse is a high priority for us. Every week we provide relapse prevention training and cognitive-behavioral therapy that helps you to maintain sobriety and continue your recovery. Through regular meetings with both a therapist and a peer support group, you can learn how to rebuild your life.
It is very difficult to recover from substance and mental illness. But you are not alone. We are here to make your recovery journey easy and effective. Our luxury inpatient care with well-trained and innovative staff will meet your needs and care for your recovery journey. Our customized dual-diagnosis treatment will help you to get back to your normal routine life.
So what are you looking for? Enroll now if you or your loved one is suffering from a dual diagnosis and make recovery successful.